There is no such thing as a smooth-ride relationship, in fact, healthy relationships tend to look more like a roller coaster of hills and valleys. The trick to staying together is to be strong enough to hold on through the hilly times, having faith that the valley of your relationship will return and stay for awhile. However, many relationships fail because it lacks this strength and desire. It really doesn't make to throw away a good guy or gal over instances that can be mended. So, instead of quitting on it, make the decision to strengthen your relationship. Below are ten ways in which to do so.
[Read: The Get-A-Guy Guide]
10 Ways to Strengthen your Relationship
- Honesty is the best policy: Dishonesty is like poison to a relationship that generates distrust and resentment. No matter what the instance is, opt for honesty. If your mate is asking for genuine advice on his/her's hair or clothing, be honest with your answers regardless of the perceived reply. Be honest about finances, fidelity, opinions and ideas, because being honest shows that you deeply value your relationship.
- Praise instead of belittling: There will be many moments in your relationship where you will want to call out your mate for the things that he/she didn't do right. You will want to call him names to hurt his feelings and make him feel less than. But you shouldn't. Understand that words hurt and understand that no one is perfect. Suppress your desire to belittle your partner, instead, make it a priority to not even think about the “bad parts”. Search your heart and mind for the beautiful things that made you see value in him. Praise him often for the things that he did, does and says – making your partner feel special can release good mood endorphins that inspires gestures of love and kindness.
- Forgive quickly: Holding grudges is a prison while forgiveness is freedom – remember this the next time your guy forgets your anniversary or if he is being hurtful about issues that are sensitive to you. Talk to your partner, tell him how he made you feel, let him know he can't repeat the actions and make the choice to forgive him.
- Always try to impress: One of the biggest complaints about relationships is the “comfortable factor”. Couples become so comfortable that they stop trying to impress each other. They have the “well I've got him/her so I don't need to try anymore” mentality that can destroy a beautiful relationship. There is nothing wrong with putting your guard down a bit and getting a dat bit comfortable, but you should also make valiant efforts to keep impressing your partner. You can leave a lasting impression by eating healthy and exercising often and by wearing nice clothing and doing your hair often. Additionally, you can impress by keeping a clean home and by trying out new recipes from time to time.
- Be spontaneous: The routines of daily life can zap the spontaneity out of a relationship really quickly. To keep things fresh, strong and sexy, make a continual effort to be spontaneous with your partner. By simply taking sporadic vacations and dining at new places you can breathe new life into your wavering relationship.
- Build dreams together: Couples that dream together, stay strong together. Let your mutual interest inspire dreams. You can start a business together, join a class together or teach a class together. Additionally, you can strive to accomplish goals together like running a marathon or going rock climbing.
- Enjoy your YOU time: Too much of a good thing is never good. You need time away from your partner to inspire appreciation and value. Sporadically take a day or a few days to reconnect with yourself away from your mate. Enjoy a spa day, or go visit with family or friends.
- Never stop dating each other: Make an effort to keep dating each other to keep the playful anticipation alive. Write each other love notes, send flowers and candy, purchase spontaneous gifts, go dining and dancing.
- Conduct yourself with respect: Disrespecting your relationship is another sign of getting way too comfortable. Strive to always conduct yourself with respect in regards to your relationship – be fateful to him/her, close the doors when you're using the bathroom. And, no cussing, nose picking or gas passing in the presence of your guy or girl.
- Talk often: Last but not least, this is one of the best way to strengthen your relationship. If you want a strong relationship, you will have to learn to talk to each other often. Talk about your day, bring up beautiful memories, plan dreams and be playful with each other to keep communication open.
[Read: The Get-A-Guy Guide]
Being in a relationship is a constant work-in-progress, but it should not be an unpleasant journey. You want a happy, strong, loving and tranquil relationship, so make the continual efforts and you will always have just that.